MCubed is a two-year seed-funding program designed to empower interdisciplinary teams of University of Michigan faculty to pursue new initiatives with major societal impact. The program minimizes the time between idea conception and successful research results by providing immediate startup funds for novel, high-risk and transformative research projects. The funds are intended to generate data for groundbreaking, high-impact publications, or preliminary results for new, innovative research proposals. The program also includes high-visibility, campus-wide research symposia to showcase the resulting groundbreaking research.
MCubed characteristics are:
- Multidisciplinary – Taking advantage of UM’s excellence across breadth.
- Collaborative – Three researchers from at least two different units.
- Unreviewed – No formal review; peers approve by agreeing to “cube.”
- Bold – Drives risk-taking in innovative and interdisciplinary research.
- Exciting – High-profile, campus-wide symposia to present results.
- Distributed – Funding from PIs, units, Provost, and Rackham.