What is the Mcubed Diamond Program?
Fully funded cubes supported by donors, companies, and campus leaders who are investing in research projects that align exactly with their interests, from global health to education, and sustainability to social justice. Diamond cubes require NO faculty or unit contribution. All faculty in the Mcubed system will receive email notifications when new Diamond projects are posted in the website.
View Open Diamond Projects NOW!
Click here to view open Diamond Projects, awaiting faculty pitches!
(Note: faculty members must login to the website using your uniqname and kerberos password)
How does it work?
- Donors provide the funding and post their project concept on the website.
- Faculty introduce themselves and their ideas to donors by commenting on the website.
- Donors select the project that most closely aligns with their goals.
- Project owner invites collaborators to join the cube, and funds are quickly made available to start the project.
How do I participate?
Faculty: All faculty collaborators in the Mcubed website will automatically receive a token to participate in the Mcubed Diamond Program. Faculty who would like to be added to the system should contact their Mcubed Unit Liaison or the Mcubed office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donors: Paths for funding diamond projects
- Gift - $75,000 - Alumni and friends can access the power of UM researchers to address issues that ignite their passions.
- Sponsored Research - $80,000 - Industry partners can participate in Mcubed at a reduced indirect cost rate of 33%.
- Faculty - $60,000 - Faculty can use discretionary funds to assemble multidisciplinary teams within Mcubed.
- Deans - $60,000 or $15,000 - Unit leaders can use the Mcubed mechanism to shape the research being conducted in their units.
If you are interested in sponsoring an Mcubed Diamond project or a block of cubes, please contact Wendy Palms at email@example.com.
Mcubed Diamond cubes adhere to regular Mcubed 3.0 program requirements.
Note: Donors may request periodic updates and/or a final report or presentation on the cube's work.
Frequently Asked Questions about Mcubed Diamond Program
How is the Mcubed Diamond Program different from the internally funded Mcubed 3.0?
- Mcubed Diamond projects are fully funded by external donors. No additional monetary contribution from faculty investigators or their units is required. Projects will be posted as funding becomes available.
If I have a cube in Mcubed 3.0, am I able to participate in the Mcubed Diamond Program?
- Yes, you may participate in both programs at the same time. Eligible faculty receive one token for each program, which means you may invest your Mcubed 3.0 token in a cube that's funded by the Provost, your unit, and you (depending on your unit's funding model), and you may invest your diamond token in one cube in the Mcubed Diamond Program. However:
- You and your collaborators cannot simultaneously be on an external grant together.
- The two projects cannot be exactly the same, and the two teams cannot be exactly the same. You need at least one different collaborator on each cube.
How will the project owner be selected for diamond cubes?
- Donors review comments posted by faculty. At the end of the commenting period (at least two weeks), donors will recommend a faculty member whose project idea best aligns with their interests. Mcubed works with U-M Development Officers and donors to identify the project owner. Once the owner is selected, he/she invites 2 collaborators to the project and funding is quickly transferred to the team to begin the project.