How Financials Work: Unit Decisions Prior to each Mcubed Cycle
Prior to the start of an Mcubed cycle, each unit has the opportunity make certain financial decisions about its faculty's participation in the Mcubed program:
- The leadership of each participating campus unit (school, college) determines which groups of faculty are eligible for a virtual Mcubed token.
- Each unit sets its funding model for faculty tokens in that unit.
- Tokens are worth $20K (in classic cube) or $5K (in mini-cube).
- For U-M Ann Arbor faculty, the Provost, via Mcubed, contributes 1/3 of each token ($6,667-tokens in classic cubes or $1,667- tokens in mini-cubes). The unit and faculty contributions, combined, cover the remaining 2/3 of each token.
- For U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint faculty, 100% of tokens are paid for by the central administration and the units; no faculty contribution is required.
Scroll down to view each campus's financial contribution table, which provides the token funding models for each campus unit.
How Financials Work: Before Cube Formation
To commit a token to a project, a faculty member must supply three pieces of information:
- User Shortcode: source for the faculty member’s contribution to the token.
- Overdraft Shortcode: an account from which, at the close of the funding period, any deficit will be charged (with each of the three faculty collaborators on the cube bearing 1/3 of the charge).
- SAPOC* uniqname (single administrative point of contact): person who manages the faculty member’s research or discretionary accounts. If the faculty member is the Mcubed project owner, then this person will be the lead SAPOC for the project and responsible for verifying the cube's finances (after a cube is awarded).
Special Considerations for the User and Overdraft Shortcodes:
- Faculty members can supply shortcodes from discretionary, general funds, designated, unrestricted gifts, or auxiliary.
- Faculty members cannot supply shortcodes from external/sponsored funding or restricted gifts.
- In cases where units cover the entire 2/3 of the token and no faculty contribution is needed, faculty should enter “111111” for their user shortcode.
- In some cases, faculty who wish to participate may not have sufficient discretionary funds to cover their contribution. Another shortcode may be entered as the user shortcode, provided the individual or unit who owns those funds has agreed to cover the faculty contribution.
- An overdraft shortcode must be from a faculty member’s own discretionary funds unless another source has agreed to cover the potential overdraft.
Source for Unit Contributions
- Each unit has supplied a single shortcode from which its contribution to tokens gets pulled. These shortcodes are used by the Shared Services Center each time a cube is funded.
How Financials Work: After Cube Formation
Following the semi-random selection process, the trio of faculty collaborators will receive a congratulatory email if their project has secured a cube. This message serves as the award letter, with binding program requirements. The Mcubed Unit Liaisons and SAPOCs for all three faculty collaborators will be copied on this message.
A second email will be sent to the Lead SAPOC (project owner’s SAPOC) asking for completion of the cube's financial verification, which requires the SAPOC to:
- Provide a department ID for which Mcubed will establish the chartfields for the cube’s PG
- Confirm the user shortcodes for all three faculty members have sufficient funds available to cover the required faculty contributions
- Confirm the overdraft shortcodes provided by each faculty member to be used at project close if the project PG is in overdraft has sufficient funds
After the Lead SAPOC completes Financial Verification, the Shared Services Center (SSC) pools the funds committed from Mcubed, each of the units, and faculty collaborators to open a project grant for the Mcubed project.
Things to note about Mcubed project financial management
- All cube expenses should be charged to the single resulting shortcode (10000 fund).
- The lead SAPOC manages the project's financials in collaboration with the other collaborators' SAPOCs.
- A minimum of 50% of the cube funding must go toward U-M emerging researchers and scholars who function as cube personnel (U-M undergrads, grads, postdocs).
- The remaining 50% of the cube funding may be spent on research-related discretionary expenses, such as equipment and materials; required travel; transcriptionists, technicians, or other staff members; subject incentives; and partners outside of U-M.
- Faculty/investigator salaries are NOT an allowable expense.
- Alcohol is not an allowable expense.
- Mcubed runs a query constructed by SSC to ensure adherence to spending rules, and the results are available for SAPOCs to view.
Mcubed 3.0 - Financial Contributions by Unit
Ann Arbor - Required Contributions for Tokens by Faculty and Unit
The U-M Ann Arbor Provost (via Mcubed) covers one-third of all Ann Arbor faculty member tokens:
- $6,667 for classic cubes ($20K token, $60K cube) or
- $1,6667 for mini-cubes ($5K token, $15K cube)
The table below outlines the required unit and faculty contributions for the remaining two-thirds of a token when used in a classic (token is worth $20K for a $60K cube) or a mini-cube (token is worth $5K for a $15K cube). Each unit's central leadership determined the financial breakdown for tokens in Mcubed 3.0:
|Unit||Faculty Contribution (Classic)||Unit Contribution (Classic)||Faculty Contribution (Mini)||Unit Contribution (Mini)||Max Classic Tokens||Eligible Token Holder||Limit 1 Token per Cube|
|Architecture and Urban Planning||$6,633||$6,700||$1,663||$1,670||3||Tenure track faculty with a 50% or greater appointment||No|
|Art & Design||$0||$13,333||$0||$3,333||6||Tenured and Tenure Track Faculty||Yes|
|Business||$5,000||$8,333||$1,833||$1,500||14||Tenured and Tenure track and clinical faculty with 50% or more appt||No|
|Dentistry||$8,333||$5,000||$2,083||$1,250||30||Tenure, tenure-track, clinical-track and research track faculty with current active sponsored research or recently submitted sponsored research grants within the last 12 months exceeding $50K.||No|
|Education||$8,333||$5,000||$2,083||$1,250||10||Tenure track, clinical, and research track faculty||Yes|
|Engineering||$8,333||$5,000||$2,083||$1,250||150||Tenure-track faculty and full and associate research professors; UMTRI research scientists (assistant, associate, full)||No|
|Information||$12,333||$1,000||$2,333||$1,000||50||All School of Information faculty members with a 50% or greater appointment will receive one token per person regardless of any other unit of affiliation. Must have adequate Research Incentive funds to cover researcher portion of their token.||No|
|ISR||$6,666||$6,667||$2,333||$1,000||8||All ISR research scientists, associate research scientists, assistant research scientists, research professors, research associate professors, research assistant professors, and faculty associates with an assistant professor appointment in another unit on campus.||No|
|Kinesiology||$6,666||$6,667||$500||$2,833||18||All tenured or tenure-track faculty (Professors, Associate Professors, and Assistant Professors) and clinical faculty with a primary appointment in the School of Kinesiology||No|
|Law||$2,000||$11,333||$2,000||$1,333||2||Tenured/Tenure Track Faculty; Experiential Education Faculty on 3- and 7- year agreements, and Professors from Practice||Yes|
|Libraries||$0||$13,333||$0||$3,333||4||All librarian classifications: Assistant, Associate, Senior Associate and Librarian||Yes|
|LSI||$6,666||$6,667||$1,666||$1,667||16||Tenured and tenure-track faculty||No|
|LSA Humanities||$8,333||$5,000||$0||$3,333||30||All LSA tenure and tenure-track faculty members, research scientists, associate research scientists, assistant research scientists, research professors, and associate research professors with a 50% or greater appointment in the College; as well as Collegiate Fellows, Michigan Society Fellows, and Presidential Fellows.||No|
|LSA Natural Sciences||$8,333||$5,000||$0||$3,333||80||All LSA tenure and tenure-track faculty members, research scientists, associate research scientists, assistant research scientists, research professors, and associate research professors with a 50% or greater appointment in the College; as well as Collegiate Fellows, Michigan Society Fellows, and Presidential Fellows.||No|
|LSA Social Sciences||$8,333||$5,000||$0||$3,333||40||All LSA tenure and tenure-track faculty members, research scientists, associate research scientists, assistant research scientists, research professors, and associate research professors with a 50% or greater appointment in the College; as well as Collegiate Fellows, Michigan Society Fellows, and Presidential Fellows.||No|
|Medical School||$8,000||$5,333||$2,000||$1,333||200||All faculty including: tenure and tenure-track faculty, research investigators, assistant/associate research scientists, assistant/associate research professors, clinical instructors, clinical assistant/associate professors, clinical professors, clinical lecturers and LEO lecturers with 50% or greater appointment in the Medical School||No|
|Music, Theatre & Dance||$3,000||$10,333||$0||$3,333||4||Tenure track and clinical faculty with a 50% or greater appointment.||Yes|
|Nursing||*$12,333||$1,000||*$2,333||$1,000||10||Tenure and clinical track faculty||No|
|Public Health||$6,666||$6,667||$1,666||$1,667||75||Tenure track, Research track, Clinical track; ≥50% SPH appointment||No|
|Public Policy||$3,000||$10,333||$1,000||$2,333||5||All tenure-track and clinical track faculty members||No|
|SEAS||$6,666||$6,667||$1,666||$1,667||15||TTF or Professors of Practice||No|
|Social Work||$6,666||$6,667||$1,666||$1,667||5||Tenure track faculty with a 50%+ appointment||Yes|
|UMOR Units||$6,666||$6,667||$1,666||$1,667||20||Research faculty or research scientists with primary appointment in UMOR research unit (greater than 50%)||No|
*School of Nursing faculty: See Associate Dean for Research for possible additional funding available towards the faculty member contribution to the cube. Additional funding will be distributed on a case-by-case basis and based on the faculty member’s discretionary funds available. Additional funding will be supplied outside of the Mcubed system.
Dearborn - Required Contributions for Tokens by Faculty and Unit
U-M Dearborn faculty do not have to contribute any funds toward participation in a classic or mini-cube. Central administration and each unit's leadership covers the full cost of tokens.
Note: faculty should enter "111111" for their user shortcode as no faculty contribution toward the cube is required. For SAPOC uniqname, enter: pawatson
Eligible Faculty: Tenure & Tenure Track Faculty with a 50% or greater appointment
U-M AA Equivalent
U-M Dearborn Unit
(Facutly mapped to Mcubed unit)
Faculty Contribution (Classic)
Campus/ Unit Contribution (Classic)
Faculty Contribution (Mini)
Campus/Unit Contribution (Mini)
Max Classic Tokens
|Max Mini Tokens|
|Business||College of Business||$0||$20,000||$0||$5,000||4||16|
|Education||College of Education, Health, & Human Services||$0||$20,000||$0||$5,000||1||7|
|Engineering||College of Engineering and Computer Science||$0||$20,000||$0||$5,000||7||28|
|LSA Humanities||College of Arts, Science and Letters||$0||$20,000||$0||$5,000||1||5|
|LSA Natural Sciences||College of Arts, Science and Letters||$0||$20,000||$0||$5,000||1||5|
|LSA Social Sciences||College of Arts, Science and Letters||$0||$20,000||$0||$5,000||1||5|
|Public Health||College of Education, Health, & Human Services||$0||$20,000||$0||$5,000||1||7|
Flint - Required Contributions for Tokens by Faculty and Unit
U-M Flint faculty do not have to contribute any funds toward participation in a classic or mini-cube. Central administration and each unit's leadership covers the full cost of tokens.
Note: faculty should enter "111111" for their user and overdraft shortcodes as no faculty contribution toward the cube is required
Eligible Faculty: All Tenure Track/Tenured Faculty and Librarians (except Full Professors in CHS). TTF includes clinical faculty in CHS.
U-M AA Equivalent
U-M Flint Units & Depts
(Facutly mapped to
Faculty Contribution (Classic)
Unit Contribution (Classic)
Faculty Contribution (Mini)
Unit Contribution (Mini)
Max Classic Tokens
Max Mini Tokens
|Art & Design||Art||$0||N/A||$0||$5,000||0||1|
|Business||School of Management||$0||$20,000||$0||$5,000||3||13|
|Education||School of Education and Human Services: Education||$0||$20,000||$0||$5,000||2||10|
|Engineering||College of Arts & Sciences: Engineering, Computer Science||$0||$20,000||$0||$5,000||3||13|
|LSA: Humanities||College of Arts & Sciences: Humanities (AFS, ENG, FOR, HIS, PHL)||$0||N/A||$0||$5,000||0||3|
|LSA: Natural Sciences||College of Arts & Sciences: Natural Sciences (BIO, CMB, PHY, GPE); Mathematics||$0||$20,000||$0||$5,000||3||12|
|LSA: Social Sciences||College of Arts & Sciences: Social Sciences (COM, ECN, POL, PSY, SACJ)||$0||$20,000||$0||$5,000||2||10|
|Medicine||College of Health Sciences: Physical Therapy, Nurse Anesthesia, Respiratory Therapy, Radiation Therapy, Clinical Lab Sciences||$0||$20,000||$0||$5,000||2||10|
|Music, Theatre, & Dance||Music, Theatre, & Dance||$0||N/A||$0||$5,000||0||1|
|Nursing||School of Nursing||$0||$20,000||$0||$5,000||3||13|
|Public Health||College of Health Sciences: Public Health, Health Management||$0||$20,000||$0||$5,000||1||4|
|Social Work||School of Education and Human Services: Social Work||$0||$20,000||$0||$5,000||1||4|