Interested in fuels and combustion in IC engines, gas turbines and stationary combustors.
Active in the study of particulate emissions from combustion systems, including the characterization of the nanostructure and reactivity of soot particles.
Particularly interested in sustainable fuels and fuel utilization strategies.
Prof. Boehman’s research interests are in alternative and reformulated fuels, combustion and pollution control. His present research activities are focused on alternative diesel fuels, diesel combustion and diesel exhaust aftertreatment. My group has made significant contributions in three different areas of study related to alternative fuels. These include:
- Design, Development and Demonstration of the first functioning transit vehicle that operated on Dimethyl Ether (DME), an alternative fuel that can be produced from coal, biomass and natural gas that is a potential ultra clean replacement for diesel fuel. As a consequence of this work, I have become a recognized leader in the international DME community.
- Identification of the impact of biodiesel fueling on the nanostructure and reactivity of diesel soot. My group has produced a series of landmark papers exploring the unique impact that biodiesel fuel imparts to the soot emitted by diesel engines, wherein the soot oxidizes more easily when produced from neat biodiesel or blends of biodiesel in diesel fuel. This observation demonstrated an additional benefit accrued from fueling diesel vehicles on biodiesel fuel.
- Elucidation of the mechanism of the biodiesel NOx effect, wherein fueling diesel engines with neat biodiesel or blends of biodiesel fuel tends to result in increased emissions of nitrogen oxides. This effect is of sufficient concern with respect to air quality that this aspect of biodiesel use nearly caused biodiesel to be banned in the states of Texas and California. In a sequence of papers based on research at Penn State and follow-up studies at Sandia National Laboratory during my sabbatical in 2006, my co-workers and I identified the origin of the NOx increase and methods for circumventing the NOx increase. This work has been recognized with two national awards from the Society of Automotive Engineers including the 2009 SAE Arch T. Colwell Merit Award and the 2009 SAE John Johnson Award for Outstanding Research in Diesel Engines.
- Perez, P.L. and A.L. Boehman. Experimental Investigation of the Autoignition Behavior of Surrogate Gasoline Fuels in a Constant-Volume Combustion Bomb Apparatus and Its Relevance to HCCI Combustion. Energy & Fuels, dx.doi.org/10.1021/ef300503b (2012).
- Al-Qurashi, K., Y. Zhang, and A.L. Boehman. Impact of Intake CO2 Addition and Exhaust Gas Recirculation on NOx Emissions and Soot Reactivity in a Common Rail Diesel Engine. Energy & Fuels, dx.doi.org/10.1021/ef201120f (2012).
- Ye, P., A.L. Boehman. An Investigation of the Impact of Injection Strategy and Biodiesel on Engine NOx and Particulate Matter Emissions with a Common-Rail Turbocharged DI Diesel Engine. Energy & Fuels, 97, 476-488 (2012).
- Seong, H.-J., A.L. Boehman. Studies of Soot Oxidative Reactivity Using a Diffusion Flame Burner. Combustion and Flame, 159, 1864-1875 (2012).
- Zhang, Y., A. L. Boehman. Autoignition of Binary Fuel Blends of n-Heptane and C7 Esters in a Motored Engine. Combustion and Flame, 159, 1619–1630 (2012).
- Esangbedo, C., J.M. Perez, and A.L. Boehman. Characteristics of Diesel Engine Soot that Lead to Excessive Oil Thickening. Tribology International, 47, 194–203 (2012).
- Lapuerta, M. J.R. Agudelo, M. Prorok and A.L. Boehman. Bulk Modulus of Compressibility of Diesel/Biodiesel/HVO Blends. Energy & Fuels, 26, 1336−1343 (2012).
- Lapuerta, M., F. Oliva, J.R. Agudelo, and A.L. Boehman. Effect of Fuel on the Soot Nanostructure and Consequences on Loading and Regeneration of Diesel Particulate Filters. Combustion and Flame, 159, 844–853 (2012).
- Lapuerta, M., M. Villajos, J.R. Agudelo, and A.L. Boehman. Key Properties and Blending Strategies of Hydrotreated Vegetable oil as Biofuel for Diesel Engines. Fuel Processing Technology, 92, 2406–2411 (2011).
- Yehliu, K., R.L. Vander Wal and A.L. Boehman. A Comparison of Soot Nanostructure Obtained using Two High Resolution Transmission Electron Microscopy Image Analysis Algorithms. Carbon, 49, 4256–4268 (2011).
- Armas, O., M.A. Gómez, E. Barrientos, and A.L. Boehman. Estimation of Opacity Tendency of Ethanol- and Biodiesel-Diesel Blends by Means of the Smoke Point Technique. Energy & Fuels, 25, 3283–3288 (2011).
- Yehliu, K., R.L. Vander Wal and A.L. Boehman. Development of an HRTEM Image Analysis Method to Quantify Carbon Nanostructure. Combustion and Flame, 158, 1837-1851 (2011).
- Lilik, G. K. and A.L. Boehman. Advanced Diesel Combustion of a High Cetane Number Fuel with Low Hydrocarbon and Carbon Monoxide Emissions. Energy & Fuels, 25, 1444–1456 (2011).
- Al-Qurashi, K. A.D. Lueking and A.L. Boehman. The Deconvolution of the Thermal, Dilution, and Chemical Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) on the Reactivity of Engine and Flame Soot. Combustion and Flame, 158, 1696-1704 (2011).
- Seong, H.-J. and A.L. Boehman. Impact of Intake Oxygen Enrichment on Oxidative Reactivity and Properties of Diesel Soot. Energy & Fuels, 25, 602–616 (2011).
- Yang, Y., A.L. Boehman and J. Simmie. Uniqueness in the Low Temperature Oxidation of Cycloalkanes. Combustion and Flame, 157, 2357–2368 (2010).
- Yang, Y., A.L. Boehman and J. Simmie. Effects of Molecular Structure on Oxidation Reactivity of Cyclic Hydrocarbons:Experimental Observations and Conformational Analysis. Combustion and Flame, 157, 2369–2379 (2010).
- Ye, P. and A.L. Boehman. Investigation of the Impact of Engine Injection Strategy on the Biodiesel NOx Effect with a Common-Rail Turbocharged Direct Injection Diesel Engine. Energy & Fuels, 24, 4215–4225 (2010).
- Zhang, Y. and A.L. Boehman. Oxidation of 1-Butanol and a Mixture of n-Heptane/1-Butanol in a Motored Engine. Combustion and Flame, 157, 1816–1824 (2010).
- Barrientos, E.J. and A.L. Boehman. Examination of the Sooting Tendency of Three-Ring Aromatic Hydrocarbons and Their Saturated Counterparts. Energy & Fuels, 24, 3479–3487 (2010).
- Song, J., C.-H. Jeon and A.L. Boehman. Impacts of Oxygen Diffusion on the Combustion Rate of In-Bed Soot Particles. Energy & Fuels, 24, 2418–2428 (2010). DOI:10.1021/ef900692m.
- Lilik, G.K., H. Zhang, J. M. Herreros, D.C. Haworth and A.L. Boehman. Hydrogen Assisted Diesel Combustion, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 35, 4382 – 4398 (2010).
- Perez, P. and A.L. Boehman. Performance of a Single-cylinder Diesel Engine using Oxygen-enriched Intake Air at Simulated High-altitude Conditions. Aerospace Science and Technology, 14, 83–94 (2010).
- Yang, Y. and A.L. Boehman. Oxidation Chemistry of Cyclic Hydrocarbons in a Motored Engine: Methylcyclopentane, Tetralin, and Decalin Combustion & Flame, 157, 495–505 (2010).
- Zhang, Y. and A.L. Boehman. Experimental Study of the Autoignition of C8H16O2 Ethyl and Methyl Esters in a Motored Engine. Combustion & Flame, 157, 546–555 (2010).
- Armas, O., K. Yehliu and A.L. Boehman. Effect of Alternative Fuels on Exhaust Emissions during Diesel Engine Operation with Matched Combustion Phasing. Fuel, 89, 438–456 (2010).
- Yehliu, K., A.L. Boehman and O. Armas. Emissions from Different Alternative Diesel Fuels Operating with Single and Split Fuel Injection. Fuel, 89, 423–437 (2010).