- BS Pharmacy, The Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, 1986
- MS Pharmacology, The Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, 1992
- PhD Pharmaceutics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2002
- Visiting Scholar, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, and Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, 1994 -1998
- Novel Hsp90 inhibitors to disrupt protein-protein interactions in Hsp90 complex for cancer therapy: Heat shock protein 90 (Hsp90) superchaperone complex, which consists several cochaperones (such as Hsp90, Cdc37, Hop, Hsp70, Hsp40, and p23), is involved in various cancers by regulating the maturation and folding of many oncogenic proteins. One of our research projects is to study protein-protein interactions in Hsp90 superchaperone complex and to identify small molecules that disrupting these protein-protein interactions for cancer therapeutics. We utilize mutagenesis and purified protein to investigate the mechanism of protein-protein interactions in cancers. High throughput screening and molecular modeling is used to identify possible drug candidate to block protein-protein interactions in the Hsp90 superchaperone complex. The candidate is optimized and evaluated for its mechanism to block protein-protein interactions in vitro and in cancer cells. The drug efficacy by blocking protein-protein interactions is investigated in preclinical animal cancer models.
- Experimental therapeutics and chemoprevention for cancer stem cells: Our laboratory also identifies natural products and synthetic compounds that target cancer stem cells (CSC) for chemoprevention and therapeutics. These products are evaluated to inhibit breast cancer stem cells through Hsp90, AKT, and Wnt/beta-catenin, and NF-kB signaling. Since cancer stem cells have been suggested to be responsible for tumor initiation, recurrence, and resistance, the identification of these CSC targeting compounds may provide effective prevention and treatment for breast cancer.
- Pharmacokinetic modeling and drug metabolism for drug discovery and development: During these drug discovery and development programs from our lab and other labs, we also study the drug metabolism in vitro and pharmacokinetics (ADME and modeling) in vivo preclinical animal model and clinical setting to optimize drug candidates and dose regimen for further development.
- Nanoparticle “theranostics” for targeted drug delivery and multimodality tumor imaging: Another focus of our research is targeted drug delivery of cancer therapeutic compounds. We are developing multifunctional nanoparticle (“theranostics”), which contains a tumor targeting moiety, a cancer therapeutic compound, a molecular imaging probe, for both targeted drug delivery and multimodality tumor imaging.
Peng Zou, Nan Zheng, Yongsheng Yang, Lawrence X Yu, Duxin Sun. Prediction of Volume of Distribution at Steady-State in Humans: Comparison of Different Approaches. Expert Opinion on Drug Metabolism and Toxicology, 2012, in press
Peng Zou, Nan Zheng, Yanke Yu, Shanghai Yu, Wei Sun, Donna McEachern, Yongsheng Yang, Lawrence X. Yu, Shaomeng Wang, Duxin Sun Prediction of human pharmacokinetic parameters of MI-219, a novel human double minute 2 (HDM2) inhibitor, using in vitro liver microsome metabolisms, protein binding, and in vivo animal Pharmacokinetics. J Pharmacy Pharmaceutics Sciences, 2012, 15: 265-280
Joseph Burnett, Bryan Newman, Duxin Sun. Targeting Cancer Stem Cells with Natural Products. Current Drug Targets, 2012, 13: in press.
Yu S, Zhang G, Zhang W, Luo H, Qiu L, Liu Q, Sun D, Wang PG, Wang F. Synthesis and biological activities of a 3'-azido analogue of Doxorubicin against drug-resistant cancer cells. Int J Mol Sci. 2012;13: 3671-84. PMCID: PMC3317735
Li Y, Karagöz GE, Seo YH, Zhang T, Jiang Y, Yu Y, Duarte AM, Schwartz SJ, Boelens R, Carroll K, Rüdiger SG, Sun D. Sulforaphane inhibits pancreatic cancer through disrupting Hsp90-p50(Cdc37) complex and direct interactions with amino acids residues of Hsp90. J Nutr Biochem. 2012 Mar 22. [Epub ahead of print]
Zou P, Yu Y, Zheng N, Yang Y, Paholak HJ, Yu LX, Sun D. Applications of Human Pharmacokinetic Prediction in First-in-Human Dose Estimation. AAPS J. 2012; 14: 262-81. PMCID: PMC3326168
Li Y, Zhang T, Schwartz SJ, Sun D. Sulforaphane potentiates the efficacy of 17-allylamino 17-demethoxygeldanamycin against pancreatic cancer through enhanced abrogation of Hsp90 chaperone function. Nutr Cancer. 2011, 63(7):1151-9.
Yu Y, Zick S, Li X, Zou P, Wright B, Sun D. Examination of the pharmacokinetics of active ingredients of ginger in humans. AAPS J. 2011, 13(3):417-26. PMCID: PMC3160151
Sun H, Liu L, Lu J, Bai L, Li X, Nikolovska-Coleska Z, McEachern D, Yang CY, Qiu S, Yi H, Sun D, Wang S. Potent Bivalent Smac Mimetics: Effect of the Linker on Binding to Inhibitor of Apoptosis Proteins (IAPs) and Anticancer Activity. J Med Chem. 2011, 54: 3306. PMCID: PMC3108148
Cai Q, Sun H, Peng Y, Lu J, Nikolovska-Coleska Z, McEachern D, Liu L, Qiu S, Yang CY, Miller R, Yi H, Zhang T, Sun D, Kang S, Guo M, Leopold L, Yang D, Wang S. A Potent and Orally Active Antagonist (SM-406/AT-406) of Multiple Inhibitor of Apoptosis Proteins (IAPs) in Clinical Development for Cancer Treatment. J Med Chem. 2011, 54:2714