David Hutton holds a Ph.D. from Stanford's department of Management Science and Engineering with a focus on health policy modeling. Prior to joining Stanford's Ph.D. program, David worked for a consulting company that focused on mathematical modeling and for several silicon valley software companies. David's current research is focused on health policy and medical decision making. His research and influence on national and international hepatitis B policy earned him the first place prize in the "Doing Good with Good OR student paper competition" from the Institute for Operations Research and Management Science.
David has a particular focus on modeling complex chronic diseases and infectious diseases while considering both health and economic outcomes (cost-effectiveness).
1. Khazeni N, Hutton DW, Garber AM, Owens DK. “Cost effectiveness of antiviral prophylaxis and adjuvanted prime boost vaccine strategies for an influenza pandemic.” Annals of Internal Medicine; 2009; 151(12):840-853.
2. Khazeni N, Hutton DW, Garber AM, Hupert N, Owens DK. “Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of vaccination against pandemic influenza (H1N1).” Annals of Internal Medicine; 2009; 151(12):829-839.
3. Hutton DW, So SK, Brandeau ML. “Cost effectiveness of hepatitis B catch-up vaccination among children and adolescents in China.” Hepatology 2010; 51(2):405-414.
4. Freeman JV, Zhu RP, Owens DK, Garber AM, Hutton DW, Go AS, Wang PJ, Turakhia MP. “Cost-effectiveness of dabigatran compared with warfarin for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation” Annals of Internal Medicine; 2011; 154(1):1-11.
5. Hutton DW, Brandeau ML, So SK. “Doing good with good OR: Supporting cost-effective hepatitis B interventions.” Interfaces; 2011; 41(3):289-300.
6. Hutton DW, Sheehan, P. “Comparative effectiveness of the SNaP™ Wound Care System”. International Wound Journal; 2011; 8(1):196-205.
7. Belkora JK, Hutton DW, Moore DH, Siminoff LA. “Does use of the Adjuvant! model influence use of adjuvant therapy through better risk communication?” Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network; 2011; 9(7):707-12.
8. Stein JD, Kim DD, Peck WW, Giannetti SM, Hutton DW. "Cost Effectiveness of Medications Compared with Laser Trabeculoplasty in Patients with Newly-Diagnosed Open-Angle Glaucoma" Arch Ophthalmol; 2012; 130(4):497-505.
9. Kaakeh R, Hutton DW, Funk K, Gatwood J, Chan B, Salah-ud-Din M. “Cost-Effectiveness of Statin Drug Sample Policies” Am J Pharm Benefits in press.