Education: PhD Biophysical Chemistry, Australian National University
Biotransformation of drugs by cytochrome P450 enzymes; structure, function, and mechanism of drug metabolizing P450s; development of new antiplatelet agents. His research activities are funded by grants from the NIH and the Center for Discovery of New Medicine.
1. D'Agostino J, Zhang H, Kenaan C, Hollenberg PF. Mechanism-Based Inactivation of Human Cytochrome P450 2B6 by Chlorpyrifos. Chem Res Toxicol. 2015;28(7):1484-95.
2. Calinski DM, Zhang H, Ludeman S, Dolan ME, Hollenberg PF. Hydroxylation and N-dechloroethylation of Ifosfamide and deuterated Ifosfamide by the human cytochrome P450s and their commonly occurring polymorphisms. Drug Metab Dispos. 2015;43(7):1084-90.
3. Zhang H, Lauver DA, Hollenberg PF. CYP-independent inhibition of platelet aggregation in rabbits by a mixed disulfide conjugate of clopidogrel. Thromb Haemost. 2014;112(6):1304-11.
4. Zhang H, Gay SC, Shah M, Foroozesh M, Liu J, Osawa Y, et al. Potent mechanism-based inactivation of cytochrome P450 2B4 by 9-ethynylphenanthrene: implications for allosteric modulation of cytochrome P450 catalysis. Biochemistry. 2013;52(2):355-64.
5. Amunugama HT, Zhang H, Hollenberg PF. Mechanism-based inactivation of cytochrome P450 2B6 by methadone through destruction of prosthetic heme. Drug Metab Dispos. 2012;40(9):1765-70.
6. Zhang H, Sridar C, Kenaan C, Amunugama H, Ballou DP, Hollenberg PF. Polymorphic variants of cytochrome P450 2B6 (CYP2B6.4-CYP2B6.9) exhibit altered rates of metabolism for bupropion and efavirenz: a charge-reversal mutation in the K139E variant (CYP2B6.8) impairs formation of a functional cytochrome p450-reductase complex. The Journal of pharmacology and experimental therapeutics. 2011;338(3):803-9.
7. Pratt-Hyatt M, Zhang H, Snider NT, Hollenberg PF. Effects of a commonly occurring genetic polymorphism of human CYP3A4 (I118V) on the metabolism of anandamide. Drug Metab Dispos. 2010;38(11):2075-82.
8. Kenaan C, Zhang H, Hollenberg PF. A quantitative high-throughput 96-well plate fluorescence assay for mechanism-based inactivators of cytochromes P450 exemplified using CYP2B6. Nat Protoc. 2010;5(10):1652-8.