John Schotland was educated at the University of Pennsylvania where he received his MD and PhD degrees in 1996. He was a faculty member at Penn until 2010, when he joined the University of Michigan. He has held visiting positions at MSRI, the Newton Instute and ESPCI in Paris.
My research interests are in applied mathematics and theoretical physics. My mathematical work is primarily concerned with inverse problems and their applications to imaging. I also study related topics in physics including scattering theory, waves in random media, nano-scale optics, coherence theory and quantum optics.
- Markel, V. and Schotland, J. On the Sign of Refraction in Anisotropic Non-Magnetic Media. J. Opt. 12, 015104 (2010)
- Florescu, L., Markel, V. and Schotland, J. Single-Scattering Optical Tomography: Simultaneous Reconstruction of Absorption and Scattering. Phys. Rev. E 81, 016602 (2010)
- Machida, M., Panasyuk, G., Markel, V., and Schotland, J. Green’s Function for the Radiative Transport Equation in the Slab Geometry. J. Phys. A 43, 065402 (2010)
- Bal, G. and Schotland, J. Inverse Scattering and Acousto-Optic Imaging. Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 043902 (2010)
- Davis, B., Sun, J., Schotland, J. and Carney, S. Inverse Scattering for Broadband Near-Field Scanning Optical Microscopy. J. Mod. Opt. 57, 809–815 (2010)
- Schotland, J. Quantum Imaging and Inverse Scattering. Opt. Lett. 35, 3309-3311 (2010)
- Florescu, L., Markel, V and Schotland, J. Inversion Formulas for the Broken-Ray Radon Transform. Inverse Probl. 27, 025002 (2011)
- Schotland, J. Path Integrals and Optical Tomography. Contemporary Math. 548, 77-84 (2011)
- Schotland, J. Direct Reconstruction Methods in Optical Tomography. Lecture Notes in Mathematics 2035, 1-30 (2011)
- Panasyuk, G., Schotland, J. and Markel, V. Quantum Theory of the Electric Polarization Nonlinearity in Metal Nanofilms. Phys. Rev. B 84, 155460 (2011)
- Govyadinov, A., Panasyuk, G., Schotland, J. and Markel, V. Theory of Size-Dependent Optical Effects in Metal Nanoparticles. Phys. Rev. B 84, 155461 (2011)
- Arridge, S., Moskow, S. and Schotland, J. Inverse Born Series for the Calderon Problem. Inverse Probl. 28, 035003 (2012)
- Markel, V. and Schotland, J. Homogenization of Maxwell's Equations in Periodic Composites. Phys. Rev. E 85, 066603 (2012)
- Kilgore, K., Moskow, M. and Schotland, J. Inverse Born Series for Scalar Waves. J. Computational Math. 30, 601-615 (2012)