Dr. Raghavendran is a Professor of Surgery in the Division of Acute Care Surgery, Section of General Surgery. Dr. Raghavendran received his medical education at the Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) in Pondicherry, India. He completed his surgical residency at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit and his fellowship in surgical critical care at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island. He currently works on chemokines and the role of HIF-1 alpha in the generation of acute inflammatory response in lung contusion and gastric aspiration.
Dr. Raghavendran is funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) as a recipient of a RO-1 awarded through NHLBI. His current laboratory research focuses on studying the chemokines and the role of HIF-1 alpha in lung contusion and its interaction with gastric aspiration. The focuses of his clinical interests are with ARDS and ventilator-associated pneumonia. He additionally is the Pi of a R-03 award from NIH evaluating the role of ultrasouns in measuring ICP in patients with severe TBI as part of the US-India collaborative.
- S Ramakrishnan, M Taylor, A Qu, S Ahn, S Madathilparambil, Raghavendran K, F J Gonzalez, and Y M Shah. Hypoxia inhibits bile acid synthesis leading to increased cholesterol levels. Mol Cell Biol. 2014 Apr;34(7):1208-20. PMID:24421394
- D L. Miller, M. V. Suresh, C Dou, B Yu, K. Raghavendran. Characterization of ultrasound-induced pulmonary capillary hemorrhage in rats. Microvasc Res. 2014 May;93: 42-5. PMID: 24583360
- Festic E, Ortiz-Diaz E, Lee A, Li G, Kor DJ, Adebola A, Akca O, Hoth J, Levitt JE, Carter R, Gajic O; United States Critical Illness and Injury Trials Group: Lung Injury Prevention Study Investigators (USCIITG-LIPS). Prehospital use of inhaled steroids and incidence of acute lung injury among patients at risk. (Collaborator). J Crit Care. 2013 Dec;28(6):985-91. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrc.2013.08.011. Epub 2013 Sep 24. PMID:24075297.
- MV Suresh, Ramakrishnan, S K, Machado-Aranda, D, Bivin, T,Yu, B, Talarico, N, Anderson, E, Shah, YM, Raghavendran, K. Activation of Hypoxia Inducible Factor (HIF)-1α in Type 2 Alveolar Epithelial Cell is a Major Driver of Acute Inflammation following LC. Crit Care Med. 2014 Oct; 42(10):e 642-53. PMID: 25014067.
- Lee A, Festic E, Park PK, Raghavendran K, Dabbagh O, Adesanya A, Gajic O, Bartz RR; and the United States Critical Illness and Injury Trials Group. Characteristics and outcomes of patients hospitalized following pulmonary aspiration. Chest 2014May 8. doi: 10.1378/chest.13-3028. PMID:24811480.
- D L. Miller, C Dou and K Raghavendran. Anesthesia Methods Influence the Induction of Pulmonary Capillary Hemorrhage during Diagnostic Ultrasound in Rats. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine. 34(2):289-97, doi: 10.7863/ultra.34.2.289. 5/14.
- Festic E1, Bansal V2, Gajic O3, Lee AS4; United States Critical Illness and Injury Trials Group: Lung Injury Prevention Study Investigators (USCIITG-LIPS). Prehospital use of inhaled corticosteroids and point prevalence of pneumonia at the time of hospital admission: secondary analysis of a multicenter cohort study. Mayo Clin Proc. 2014 Feb; 89(2):154-62. PMID: 24485129. (Collaborator).
- Raghavendran K. What is new in Shock, November, 2014. Shock. 2014 Nov; 42(5):381-2. doi: 10.1097/SHK.0000000000000256.
- Arek J. Wiktor, Jonathan W. Haft, Robert H. Bartlett, Pauline K. Park, Krishnan Raghavendran, Lena Marie Napolitano. Prolonged VV ECMO (265 days) for ARDS without technical complications. ASAIO J. 2015 Mar-Apr;61(2):205-6. doi: 10.1097/MAT.0000000000000181..
- DL Miller, C Dou, K Raghavendran. The Dependence of Thresholds for Pulmonary Capillary Hemorrhage on Diagnostic Ultrasound Frequency. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2015 Mar 3. pii: S0301-5629(15)00047-2. doi: 10.1016.
- J Posluszny, P T Rycus, RH Bartlett, M Engoren, J W Haft, WR Lynch, PK Park, K Raghavendran, L M Napolitano. Outcome of Adult Respiratory Failure Patients Receiving Prolonged (more than 14 days) ECMO. Accepted for publication, Annals of Surgery, 2015.
- D L. Miller, C Dou, and K Raghavendran. Pulmonary Capillary Hemorrhage Induced by Fixed-Beam Pulsed Ultrasound. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2015 Apr 29. pii: S0301-5629(15)00269-0. doi: 10.1016.
- D Machado-Aranda, P Park, K Raghavendran, J Cherry, W Wahl, SWang, LM Napolitano, M Hemmila. Reduction in Venous Thromboembolism Events - Trauma Performance Improvement and Loop Closure through Participation in a State-Wide Quality Collaborative. JACS, May 2015, S1072-7515(15)00368-3.
- Agrawal D, Raghavendran K, Schoubel DA, Misra MC, Rajajee VK. A propensity score analysis of the impact of invasive intracranial pressure monitoring on outcomes following severe traumatic brain injury. J Neurotrauma. 2015 Sep 28. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26414629
- Church J, Raghavendran K. Penetrating Abdominal Trauma from Table Saw Use: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Accepted for publication, Trauma, 8/15.