January 1993 - May 1996: B.S. with Honors in Biology, University of Maryland (College Park, MD)
Supervisor, Dr. Soichi Tanda
September 1996- May 2002: Ph.D. in Biology, University of Maryland (College Park, MD)
Supervisor, Dr. Eric H. Baehrecke
Cheng-Yu Lee uses neural stem cells from the fruit fly to study the processes of cell self-renewal and differentiation using a combined genetic, biochemical and genomic approach. His work helps understand malignancies like congenital neurological orders and brain tumors.
· Xiao, Q., H. Komori, et al. (2012). "klumpfuss distinguishes stem cells from progenitor cells during asymmetric neuroblast division." Development 139(15): 2670-2680.
· Haenfler, J. M., C. Kuang, et al. (2012). "Cortical aPKC kinase activity distinguishes neural stem cells from progenitor cells by ensuring asymmetric segregation of Numb." Dev Biol 365(1): 219-228.
· Weng, M., H. Komori, et al. (2012). "Identification of neural stem cells in the Drosophila larval brain." Methods Mol Biol 879: 39-46.
· Weng, M., J. M. Haenfler, et al. (2011). "Changes in Notch signaling coordinates maintenance and differentiation of the Drosophila larval optic lobe neuroepithelia." Dev Neurobiol.
· Weng, M. and C. Y. Lee (2011). "Keeping neural progenitor cells on a short leash during Drosophila neurogenesis." Curr Opin Neurobiol 21(1): 36-42.
· Daul, A. L., H. Komori, et al. (2010). "Multicolor fluorescence RNA in situ hybridization of Drosophila brain tissue." Cold Spring Harb Protoc 2010(7): pdb prot5462.
· Daul, A. L., H. Komori, et al. (2010). "EdU (5-ethynyl-2'-deoxyuridine) labeling of Drosophila mitotic neuroblasts." Cold Spring Harb Protoc 2010(7): pdb prot5461.
· Daul, A. L., H. Komori, et al. (2010). "Immunofluorescent staining of Drosophila larval brain tissue." Cold Spring Harb Protoc 2010(7): pdb prot5460.
· Weng, M., K. L. Golden, et al. (2010). "dFezf/Earmuff maintains the restricted developmental potential of intermediate neural progenitors in Drosophila." Dev Cell 18(1): 126-135.
Lee, C. Y., R. O. Andersen, et al. (2006). "Drosophila Aurora-A kinase inhibits neuroblast self-renewal by regulating aPKC/Numb cortical polarity and spindle orientation." Genes Dev 20(24): 3464-3474.