Dr. Kaplan's laboratory is investigating the pathophysiology of premature atherosclerosis in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and other autoimmune conditions. Dr. Kaplan has identified that lupus patients develop a profound imbalance of vascular damage and repair caused by type I interferons. Her laboratory is now identifying whether type I interferons are the main drivers of premature vascular damage in lupus patients and the pathways by which interferons mediate abnormal vascular repair. Dr. Kaplan is also studying the phenotype and function of specific cell subsets in lupus, including myeloid dendritic cells and neutrophils, and whether abnormalities in these cells promote abnormal autoimmune responses. In addition, Dr. Kaplan's laboratory is looking into mechanisms of tissue damage in SLE and whether specific pharmacologic interventions can abrogate/ameliorate these complications in lupus and, potentially , in other autoimmune diseases. Dr. Kaplan is also involved in clinical trials to identify novel therapeutic targets to decrease vascular disease in rheumatoid arthritis through modulation of PPAR pathways. /
60. Villanueva E, Yalavarthi S, Berthier C, Hodgin J, Khandpur R, Lin A, Rubin C, Zhao W, Olsen SH, Klinker M, Shealy D, Denny MF, Plumas J, Chaperot L, Kretzler M, Bruce AT and Kaplan MJ. Netting neutrophils induce endothelial damage, infiltrate tissues and expose immunostimulatory molecules in systemic lupus erythematosus. Journal of Immunology 2011; 187:538-52. PMC3119769.
62. Kahlenberg JM, Thacker SG, Berthier CC, Cohen C, Kretzler M and Kaplan MJ. Inflammasome activation of IL-18 results in endothelial progenitor cell dysfunction in systemic lupus erythematosus. Journal of Immunology 2011; 187:6143-56. PMC3221936.
63. Thacker S, Zhao W, Smith C, Luo W, Wang H, Vivekanandan-Giri A, Rabquer B, Koch AE, Pennathur S, Davidson A, Eitzman D, Kaplan MJ. Type I interferons modulate endothelial function, repair, thrombosis and plaque severity in murine models of lupus and atherosclerosis. Arthritis & Rheumatism 2012 May 1. doi: 10.1002/art.34504. [Epub ahead of print].
65. Somers EC, Zhao W, Lewis, EE, Wang L, Wing JJ, Baskaram S, Kazerooni E, McCune WJ, Kaplan MJ. Type I interferons are associated with subclinical markers of cardiovascular disease in a cohort of systemic lupus erythematosus patients. PLoS One 2012; 7(5):e37000. PMC3351452.
59. Marder W, Khalatbari S, Myles J, Yalavarthi S, Hench R, Lustig S, Brook R, Kaplan MJ. Interleukin-17 as a novel predictor of vascular function in rheumatoid arthritis. Annals of Rheumatic Diseases 2011; 70:1550-5. PMC3151670