I am an Assistant Professor in Cardiac Surgery. My clinical interests are in congenital heart disease (adult and pediatric) , pediatric heart failure, pediatric heart transplantation and mechanical circulatory support in patients with congenital heart disease. My research interests are in cardiac tissue engineering, cardiac surgery and mechanical circulatory support.
The objective of my research program is to develop implantable and functional cardiac tissue. This requires the generation of human cardiac cells from pluripotent stem cells, fabricating engineered heart tissue and vascularizing engieered heart tissue.
1. C. S. Sondergaard et al., Prevascularization of self-organizing engineered heart tissue by human umbilical vein endothelial cells abrogates contractile performance. Cell and tissue research, (Sep 7, 2012).
2. C. S. Sondergaard et al., Contractile and electrophysiologic characterization of optimized self-organizing engineered heart tissue. The Annals of thoracic surgery 94, 1241 (Oct, 2012).
3. M. S. Si, Pulmonary artery reconstruction with aorta during the arterial switch operation. The Annals of thoracic surgery 94, 630 (Aug, 2012).
4. G. Mathews et al., Computational analysis of contractility in engineered heart tissue. IEEE transactions on bio-medical engineering 59, 1429 (May, 2012).
5. C. S. Sondergaard et al., Human thymus mesenchymal stromal cells augment force production in self-organized cardiac tissue. The Annals of thoracic surgery 90, 796 (Sep, 2010).
6. M. S. Si et al., Potent farnesyltransferase inhibitor ABT-100 abrogates acute allograft rejection. The Journal of heart and lung transplantation : the official publication of the International Society for Heart Transplantation 24, 1403 (Sep, 2005).
7. M. S. Si, B. A. Reitz, D. C. Borie, Effects of the kinase inhibitor CGP41251 (PKC 412) on lymphocyte activation and TNF-alpha production. International immunopharmacology 5, 1141 (Jul, 2005).
8. M. S. Si, B. A. Reitz, D. C. Borie, Inhibition of lymphocyte activation and function by the prenylation inhibitor L-778,123. Investigational new drugs 23, 21 (Jan, 2005).
9. P. S. Changelian et al., Prevention of organ allograft rejection by a specific Janus kinase 3 inhibitor. Science 302, 875 (Oct 31, 2003).