Ph.D. Princeton University. Chemical Engineering. 2003.
B.S. Tsinghua University. Chemical Engineering. 1997.
B.S. Tsinghua University. Computer Science & Technology (Minor). 1997.
My research focuses on investigating microbial systems, particularly microbial communities, using systems biology and synthetic biology approaches. On one hand, we aspire to advance fundamental understanding of natural microbial communities closely associated with health or environmental issues, for instance the human microbiome, by exploiting tools and methods from engineering fields, such as microfluidics and network modeling. On the other hand, we aim to engineer microorganism, most importantly synthetic microbial consortia, to address critical needs faced by our society such as sustainable bioenergy production.
- Jeremy J. Minty, S. Marjan Varedi K., and Xiaoxia Nina Lin. Network benchmarking: a happy marriage between systems and synthetic biology. Chemistry & Biology, 16, 239–241 (2009). Invited commentary.
- S. Marjan Varedi K., Alejandra C. Ventura, Sofia D. Merajver, and Xiaoxia Nina Lin. Multisite phosphorylation provides an effective and flexible mechanism for switch-like protein degradation. PLoS One, 5(12), e14029 (2010).
- S. Marjan Varedi K., Peter J. Woolf, and Xiaoxia Nina Lin. Minimum protein oscillator based on multisite phosphorylation/dephosphorylation. IET Systems Biology, 5, 27–33 (2011).
- Jihyang Park, Alissa Kerner, Mark A. Burns, and Xiaoxia Nina Lin. Microdroplet-enabled highly parallel co-cultivation of microbial communities. PLoS One, 6(2), e17019 (2011).
- Jeremy J Minty, Ann A Lesnefsky, Fengming Lin, Yu Chen, Ted A Zaroff III, Artur B Veloso, Bin Xie, Catie A McConnell, Rebecca J Ward, Donald R Schwartz, Jean-Marie Rouillard, Yuan Gao, Erdogan Gulari, and Xiaoxia Nina Lin. Evolution combined with genomic study elucidates genetic bases of isobutanol tolerance in Escherichia coli. Microbial Cell Factories, 10, 18 (2011).
- Alissa Kerner, Jihyang Park, Audra Williams, and Xiaoxia Nina Lin. A programmable Escherichia coli consortium via tunable symbiosis. PLoS One, 7(3), e34032 (2012).
- Peter J. Valdez, Michael C. Nelson, Henry Y. Wang, Xiaoxia Nina Lin, and Phillip E. Savage. Hydrothermal liquefaction of Nannochloropsis sp.: systematic study of process variables and analysis of the product fractions. Biomass and Bioenergy, 46, 317-331 (2012).
- Gregory J. Boggy, Jeremy Minty, Marc E. Singer, Andrej-Nikolai Spiess, Xiaoxia Nina Lin, and Peter J. Woolf. Simplified measurement of multiple DNA targets with monochrome multiplex qPCR and mechanistic data analysis. In revision (2012).
- S. Marjan Varedi K., Hangtian Song, Wendi A. Hale, Kristina Hakansson, and Xiaoxia Nina Lin. Multisite phosphorylation underlies ultrasensitive binding of Sic1 to Cdc4 in response to Cln2-Cdc28. In revision (2012).
- Jihyang Park, Vincent B. Young, Mark A. Burns, and Xiaoxia Nina Lin. Oxygen gradient construction for co-cultivation of microbial communities in droplets. In revision (2012).
- Jeremy J. Minty, Marc E. Singer, Chang Hoon Bae, JungHo Ahn, Cliff E. Foster, James C. Liao, and Xiaoxia Nina Lin. Design and characterization of synthetic fungul-bacterial consortia for direct production of isobutanol from cellulosic biomass. Submitted (2012).