Patti is a nurse with a PhD in Operations Analysis. She completed a 2-year post-doc research fellowship in the Department of Computer Science in the Human Computer Interaction Laboratory at UMCP where she focused upon the design of usable and error-mitigating HIT. She is a formally trained informatician, and her research is focused in mHealth, eHealth, & distributed eLearning.
2011-2013 “Development and Demonstration of a Unit-based Surgical Safety Program”. Agency for Healthcare Quality and Research. (P. Pronovost – PI; P. Abbott; Co-Investigator).
2010-2012 “Curriculum Development Center for Healthcare Information Technology Workforce”. Department of Health and Human Services/Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT. 1U24OC000013-01 (PI – P. Abbott; Co-Investigator - H. Lehmann).
2010-2013 “University Based Training for Healthcare Information Technology Professionals.” Department of Health and Human Services/Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT. 1T15OC000048-01 (PI – H. Lehmann; Co-Investigator & Applied Health Informatics (AHI) Program Director P. Abbott).
2009-2013 “The Center for Cardiovascular Health in Vulnerable Populations”. National Institutes of Nursing Research. 1P30NR011409. PI-M. Kim. (Telemedicine Pilot PI- P. Abbott).
2008-2009 “The Complaint-Focused Neurologic History & Physical: “20 Questions” Diagnostic Gaming to Build Diagnostic Reasoning Skills ─ Software Platform Development & Pilot Testing in Clerkship Students.” American Academy of Neurology Education, Education Research Grant -081001. PI- D. Newman-Toker. Co-Investigator – P. Abbott.
2008-2009 “Medical Interviewing for Diagnostic Decision Support in the Emergency Department.” Agency for Healthcare Quality & Research. 1 R03 HS017755-01. PI – D. Newman-Toker. Co-Investigator – P. Abbott,
- Lowry, S. Z.; Quinn, M. T.; Ramaiah, M.; Brick, D.; Patterson, E. S.; Zhang, J.; Abbott, P.; Gibbons, M. C. (2012). (NISTIR 7865) A Human Factors Guide to Enhance EHR Usability of Critical User Interactions when Supporting Pediatric Patient Care. NIST Interagency/Internal Report (NISTIR) – 7865. Available at: http://www.nist.gov/manuscript-publication-search.cfm?pub_id=911520. National Institutes of Standards and Technology: US Department of Commerce.
- Schumacher, R., Patterson, E., North, R., Zhang, J., Lowry, S., Quinn, M. Ramiah, M., Abbott, P., & Gibbons, M. (2012). Technical Evaluation, Testing and Validation of the Usability of Electronic Health Records. NIST Interagency/Internal Report (NISTIR) – 7804. Available at: http://www.nist.gov/manuscript-publication-search.cfm?pub_id=909701. National Institutes of Standards and Technology: US Department of Commerce.
- Abbott, P. (2012). Effectiveness and Clinical Usability of a Handheld Information Appliance. NursingResearch and Practice. Hindawi, Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 307258, doi:10.1155/2012/307258.
- Sockolow, P., Bowles, K., Lehmann, H., Abbott, P., Weiner, J. (2012). Community-based, interdisciplinary geriatric care team satisfaction with an electronic health record: a multimethod study. Computers, informatics, nursing : CIN 30 ( 6 ): 300-11.
- Poe, S., Abbott, P., & Pronovost, P. (2011). Building Nursing Intellectual Capital for Safe Use of Information Technology: A Before-After Study to Test an Evidence-Based Peer Coach Intervention. Journal of Nursing Care Quality.
- Sockolow PS, Lehmann HP, Bowles KH, Abbott PA, Weiner JP. (2011). Advice for Decision Makers Based on an Electronic Health Record Evaluation at a Program for All-inclusive Care for Elders Site. Applied Clinical Informatics. 2 (1); 18-38.
- Karsh, B., Weinger, M., Abbott, P., Wears, R. (2010). Health Information Technology: fallacies and sober realities. JAMIA 2010;17:617-623.
- Lori, J., Ortiz, D., Oyarzo, S., Abbott, P., Land, S. (2010). Developing Nursing and Midwifery Communitiesof Practice for Making Pregnancy Safer. Journal of Knowledge Management & E-Learning, 2 (2). Hong Kong.
- Effken, J. & Abbott, P. (2009). The Nursing Role in Health IT-enabled Care Management in Rural, Frontier, and other Underserved Populations. Commissioned White Paper - Agency for Healthcare Quality and Research. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. doi:10.1197/jamia.M2971.
- Taylor, L., Abbott, P. & Hudson, K. (2008). Using E-Learning for Workforce Development: A Survey. International Journal of Medical Informatics, 3(1), 83-87.
- Abbott, P. & Coenen, A. (2008). Globalization and advances in information and communication technologies: The impact on nursing and health. Nursing Outlook, 56(5), 238-246.