Dr. Camelo-Piragua received her M.D. from the University of Antioquia in Medellin, Colombia in 2001. She was awarded with the Guillermo Velasquez Tangarife Scholarship that sponsored clinical and research rotations at Harvard Medical School in 2001. After graduating from medical school, Dr. Camelo-Piragua started a post-doctoral research fellow at Center for Neurologic Disease, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA (2001-2003); where she was involved in the study of molecular signature of multiple sclerosis and analyzing the effects of histone deacetylase inhibitors on murine models of multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
Dr. Camelo-Piragua pursued clinical training in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology at Baystate Medical Center, Western Campus of Tufts University Medical School, Springfield, MA, from 2004 to 2008. Dr. Camelo-Piragua pursued further specialty training in Neuropathology at Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, from 2008-2010. During her training she participated in studies evaluating the use of mutant specific IDH-1 antibody in detection of infiltrating gliomas versus non-neoplastic conditions and gangliogliomas.
Dr. Camelo-Piragua is member of American Association of Neuropathologists, European Confederation of Neuropathological Societies, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology and College of American Pathologists. Dr. Camelo-Piragua is board certified in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology and in Neuropathology.
In October 2010, Dr. Camelo-Piragua joined the faculty of the Department of Pathology as Clinical Assistant professor in the Neuropathology Division at the University of Michigan.
- Camelo-Piragua S, Jansen M, Ganguly A, ChulMin Kim J, Louis DN, Nutt CL. Mutant IDH1-specific immunohistochemistry distinguishes diffuse astrocytoma from astrocytosis. Acta Neuropathol. 2010 Apr;119(4):509-11
- Camelo-Piragua S, Jansen M, Ganguly A, ChulMin Kim J, Cosper AK, Dias-Santagata D, Nutt CL, Iafrate AJ, Louis DN. A sensitive and specific diagnostic panel to distinguish diffuse astrocytoma from astrocytosis: chromosome 7 gain with mutant isocitrate dehydrogenase 1 and p53. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol, 2011 Feb;70(2):110-115.
- Horbinski C, Kofler J, Yeaney G, Camelo-Piragua S, Venneti S, Louis DN, Perry A, Murdoch G, Nikiforova M. Isocitrate dehydrogenase 1 analysis differentiates gangliogliomas from infiltrative gliomas. Brain Pathol. 2011 Sep;21(5):564-74.
- Majczenko K, Davidson AE, Camelo-Piragua S, Agrawal PB, Manfready RA, Li X, Joshi S, Xu J, Peng W, Beggs AH, Li JZ, Burmeister M, Dowling JJ. Dominant mutation of CCDC78 in a unique congenital myopathy with prominent internal nuclei and atypical cores. American Journal of Human Genetics. 2012 Aug 10;91(2):365-71.
- Salameh J, Goyal N, Choudry R, Camelo-Piragua S, Siao-Tick-Chong P. Phosphoglycerate mutase deficiency with tubular aggregates in a patient from Panama. Muscle and Nerve. 2013 Jan;47(1):138-40.
- McKeever PE, Camelo-Piragua S, Dowling JJ. External and Internal Influences on Muscle. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2012 Aug;136(8):927-34.
- Camelo-Piragua S. Clear cell tumors of the central nervous system: a case based review. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2012 Aug;136(8):915-26. 915-26.
- Clarke NF, Amburgey K, Teener J, Camelo-Piragua S, Kesari A, Punetha J, Waddell LB, Davis M, Laing NG, Monnier N, North KN, Hoffman EP, Dowling JJ. A novel mutation expands the genetic and clinical spectrum of MYH7-related myopathies. Neuromuscul Disord. 2013 May;23(5):432-6.
- Lau D, La Marca F, Camelo-Piragua S, Park P. Metastatic paraganglioma of the spine: Case report and review of the literature. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2013 Feb 8.
- Salameh J, Goyal N, Choudry R, Camelo-Piragua S, Chong PS. Phosphoglycerate mutase deficiency with tubular aggregates in a patient from Panama. Muscle Nerve. 2013 Jan;47(1):138-40.
- Hervey-Jumper SL, Altshuler DB, Wang AC, He X, Zhu TS, Maher CO, Heth JA, Robertson PL, Garton HJL, Fan X, Muraszko KM, Camelo-Piragua S. The role of CD133+ cells in a recurrent embryonal tumor with abundant neuropil and true rosettes (ETANTR). Brain Pathology. Brain Pathol. 2014 Jan;24(1):45-51.
- Ji M, Orringer D, Freudiger C, Ramkissoon S, Liu X, Lau D, Golby A, Norton I, Hayashi M, Agar N, Young G, Spino C, Santagata S, Camelo-Piragua S, Ligon K, Sagher S, and Xie X. S. Rapid, label-free detection of brain tumors with stimulated Raman scattering microscopy. Sci Transl Med. 2013 Sep 4;5(201):201ra119.
- Arabi M, Ibrahim M, Camelo-Piragua S, Shah G. Supratentorial neurenteric cyst mimicking hydatid cyst: A case report and literature review. Avicenna Journal of Medicine, 2013;3:73-80
- Haynes HR, Camelo-Piragua S, Kurian KM. Prognostic and predictive biomarkers in adult and paediatric gliomas: towards personalised brain tumour treatment. Front Oncol. 2014 Mar 24;4:47. eCollection 2014. Review
- Spence T, Sin-Chan P, Picard D, Barszczyk M, Hoss K, Lu M, Kim SK, Ra YS, Nakamura H, Fangusaro J, Hwang E, Kiehna E, Toledano H, Wang Y, Shi Q, Johnston D, Michaud J, La Spina M, Buccoliero AM, Adamek D, Camelo-Piragua S, Peter Collins V, Jones C, Kabbara N, Jurdi N, Varlet P, Perry A, Scharnhorst D, Fan X, Muraszko KM, Eberhart CG, Ng HK, Gururangan S, Van Meter T, Remke M, Lafay-Cousin L, Chan JA, Sirachainan N, Pomeroy SL, Clifford SC, Gajjar A, Shago M, Halliday W, Taylor MD, Grundy R, Lau CC, Phillips J, Bouffet E, Dirks PB, Hawkins CE, Huang A. CNS-PNETs with C19MC amplification and/or LIN28 expression comprise a distinct histogenetic diagnostic and therapeutic entity. Acta Neuropathol. 2014 Aug;128(2):291-303.
- Baker GJ, Yadav VN, Motsch S, Koschmann C, Calinescu AA, Mineharu Y, Camelo-Piragua SI, Orringer D, Bannykh S, Nichols WS, deCarvalho AC, Mikkelsen T, Castro MG, Lowenstein PR. Mechanisms of Glioma Formation: Iterative Perivascular Glioma Growth and Invasion Leads to Tumor Progression, VEGF-Independent Vascularization, and Resistance to Antiangiogenic Therapy. Neoplasia. 2014 Jul;16(7):543-61.
- Korytnaya E, Liu J, Camelo-Piragua S, Sullivan S, Auchus RJ, Barkan A. Ectopic Prolactin Secretion From a Perivascular Epithelioid Cell Tumor (PEComa). J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Aug 15:jc20142623.
- Demicco EG, Harms PW, Patel RM, Smith SC, Ingram D, Torres K, Carskadon SL, Camelo-Piragua S, McHugh JB, Siddiqui J, Palanisamy N, Lucas DR, Lazar AJ, Wang WL. Extensive Survey of STAT6 Expression in a Large Series of Mesenchymal Tumors. Am J Clin Pathol. 2015 May;143(5):672-82.
- Albin RL,, Fisher-Hubbard A, Shanmugasundarm K, Koeppe RA, Burke J, Camelo-Piragua S, Lieberman AP, Giordani B, Frey KA. Post-Mortem Evaluation of Amyloid-Dopamine Terminal PET Dementia Classifications. Annals of Neurology. In Press Aug 2015