the Biointerfaces Institute
Dr. Steven P. Schwendeman is a Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of Michigan. He received a B.S.E. in Chemical Engineering (1986) and a PhD in Pharmaceutics (1992) from the same university (Gordon Amidon and Robert Levy co- thesis advisors) and was an NIH postdoctoral fellow (1992 – 1995) at MIT (Robert Langer postdoctoral advisor). He has published > 60 papers and book chapters and >90 abstracts, and received the Young Investigator Award from the Controlled Release Society (CRS) in 2002. He has served on the board of scientific advisors to the CRS (2003 – 2006) and as a member of the Biomaterials and Biointerfaces study section at the NIH (2003 – 2008). After serving as Editor for Pharmaceutical Research (2004 – 2007), he joined the editorial team at the Journal of Controlled Release as Associate Editor of the Americas (2007 – present).
His research focus involves all aspects of poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) delivery systems, including: microencapsulation, stabilization and controlled release of PLGA-encapsulated small molecule, peptide and protein drugs, and vaccine antigens; and site-specific delivery for treatment of cancer, and cardiovascular, bone, and ophthalmic diseases. His research laboratories are currently funded by NIH and large pharmaceutical companies.
- Zhu, G., Mallery, S. R. and Schwendeman, S. P., Stabilization of proteins encapsulated in injectable poly(lactide-co-glycolide), Nature Biotechnol., 18, 52-57 (2000).
- Wang, J., Wang, B. M. and Schwendeman, S. P., Characterization of the initial burst release of a model peptide from poly(D,L-lactide-co-glycolide) microspheres, J. Controlled Release, 82, 289-307 (2002).
- Jiang, W., Deshpande, M., Gupta, R. K. and Schwendeman, S. P., Biodegradable poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) microparticulates for injectable controlled antigen delivery, Adv. Drug Del. Rev., 57, 391-410 (2005).
- Ding, A. G., Shenderova, A. and Schwendeman, S. P., Prediction of microclimate pH in poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) films, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 128, 5384-5390 (2006)
- Cui, C., Stevens, V. C. and Schwendeman, S. P., Injectable polymer microspheres enhance immunogenicity of a contraceptive peptide vaccine, Vaccine, 25, 500-509 (2007).
- Zhong, Y., Ding, A., Zhang, L., Shenderova, A., Zhu, G., Pei, P., Chen, R., Mallery, S. R., Mooney, D. J. and Schwendeman, S. P., Rescue of SCID murine ischemic hindlimbs with pH-modified rhbFGF/Poly(D,L-lactic-co-glycolic acid) implants, J. Controlled Release, 122, 331-337 (2007).
- Sophocleous, A, Zhang, Y. and Schwendeman, S. P., A new class of inhibitors for peptide sorption and acylation in PLGA, J. Controlled Release, 137, 179-184 (2009).