Research Professor, Life Sciences Institute, Professor of Pharmacology and Professor of Biological Chemistry, Medical School
Cyrus Levinthal Collegiate Professor in the Life Sciences
Undergraduate Studies (Sep 1986-Jun 1990)
B.A. Biochemistry and English, Rice University, June 1990
Dr. F. A. Quiocho, undergraduate research advisor: Crystallographic studies of arabinose-binding protein in complex with unnatural ligands.
Doctoral Research (Sep 1990-Dec 1995)
Ph.D. Biological Sciences, Dec. 1995
Department of Biological Sciences, Purdue University
Dr. Janet L. Smith, advisor; Thesis: “The Crystal Structure of a Paradigmatic Protein: GMP Synthetase from Escherichia Coli at 2.2 Å Resolution.”
Postdoctoral Research (Jan 1996-Jun 1999)
Howard Hughes Postdoctoral Fellow; UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas;
Dr. Stephen R. Sprang, advisor: Crystallographic studies of heterotrimeric G proteins and their complexes with effectors and regulatory proteins.
· Tesmer, V. M., S. Lennarz, et al. (2012). "Molecular Mechanism for Inhibition of G Protein-Coupled Receptor Kinase 2 by a Selective RNA Aptamer." Structure.
· Tesmer, J. J., M. R. Nance, et al. (2012). "Structure of a monomeric variant of rhodopsin kinase at 2.5 A resolution." Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun 68(Pt 6): 622-625.
· Edwards, B. S., J. Zhu, et al. (2012). "Cluster cytometry for high-capacity bioanalysis." Cytometry A 81(5): 419-429.
· Orban, T., C. C. Huang, et al. (2012). "Substrate-Induced Changes in the Dynamics of Rhodopsin Kinase (G Protein-Coupled Receptor Kinase 1)." Biochemistry.
· Tesmer, J. J. (2012). "A GAIN in understanding autoproteolytic G protein-coupled receptors and polycystic kidney disease proteins." EMBO J 31(6): 1334-1335.
· Gurevich, E. V., J. J. Tesmer, et al. (2012). "G protein-coupled receptor kinases: more than just kinases and not only for GPCRs." Pharmacol Ther 133(1): 40-69.
· Narasimhan, D., G. T. Collins, et al. (2011). "Subunit stabilization and polyethylene glycolation of cocaine esterase improves in vivo residence time." Mol Pharmacol 80(6): 1056-1065.
· Aittaleb, M., A. Nishimura, et al. (2011). "Plasma membrane association of p63 Rho guanine nucleotide exchange factor (p63RhoGEF) is mediated by palmitoylation and is required for basal activity in cells." J Biol Chem 286(39): 34448-34456.
· Boughton, A. P., P. Yang, et al. (2011). "Heterotrimeric G protein beta1gamma2 subunits change orientation upon complex formation with G protein-coupled receptor kinase 2 (GRK2) on a model membrane." Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108(37): E667-673.
Lyon, A. M., V. M. Tesmer, et al. (2011). "An autoinhibitory helix in the C-terminal region of phospholipase C-beta mediates Galphaq activation." Nat Struct Mol Biol 18(9): 999-1005.